Happy 2017!!! First I would like to wish you (yes, YOU!) the most Ah-Maaazing New Year spilling over with Love, truckloads of Laughter, Good Health, Beautiful New Experiences, and Awesome Wins!!!
It’s been fluctuating between the high 40s to mid-60s here in Las Vegas… and although we’re not buried in snow like some other states blessed with “real” winters, it’s still quite chilly. And what’s PERFECT to fill your tummy with on a chilly winter day? If you enthusiastically responded, “Sup Mang Tay!”… you’re absolutely right (… and I would be eerily impressed!)!!!
The bestie tried the soup first and RAVED about it… then sent me the recipe… we tweaked it a little… and the result was perfection <3 Ready?
Vietnamese Crab Asparagus Soup (Sup Mang Tay)
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus
- 8 ounces cooked crab meat
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 egg well beaten
- Several green onions thinly sliced
- Trim base of each asparagus stalk and discard bottoms. Diagonally cut the spears into approximately 1-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots and garlic begin to soften. Add asparagus spears and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for two more minutes. Add broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil and bring mixture to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add to the soup and then add fish sauce. While briskly stirring, drizzle in the egg to create shreds in the swirling broth. Add the crab meat and stir. Continue to cook for another minute until the crab is heated through.
- Divide into individual bowls and garnish with green onions.
|Mmmm… Try this recipe?
Tag @itscarmentime on Instagram
with hashtag #itscarmentime
P.S. Lemme know what you think!
Carmen is a mom, certified professional life strategist, breakup recovery coach, religion teacher, best selling author, foodie wannabe, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. She is currently living la vida loca in Vegas with her not-so-little human… while pseudo-adulting, Tahitian dancing, and exploring the delicious world of bubble tea *woo!*